Friday, September 27, 2013

Welcome to The Miniature Instruments Blog!

Yipee! This is my first blog post ever, so this is exciting.

A while ago I decided that my new goal in life is to become a miniature instrument expert. This is what I envision: several years from now, I will have discovered dozens, if not hundreds, of small instruments from around the world, and will be able to name them, know where they originated, and be able to play them!

How did this start? Well, I'm a storyteller. I practice the old art of traditional fireside storytelling. I research folktales from around the world, and when I find stories that resonate with me, I learn them and perform them to audiences. I've performed at festivals, libraries, coffee shops, open mikes -- my stories are for kids and grown-ups. (You are welcome to visit my storytelling site, www.storycharmed.com)

A truly great storyteller can captivate an audience with just her / his voice and performance. But history shows that storytellers were multi-talented -- they were poets, musicians, actors, mimes, singers. . .

So I started to explore ways that I could add texture to my performances. And one way to do that is to add music.

But I am not a musician. I tried to be. When I was in elementary school, I played the flute for two years. I tried really hard, studied the music sheets, but stopped playing eventually. Several years later, my younger brother, who was into the guitar, tried to teach me. I learned a few chords, but got frustrated after a (short) while. I simply lack the patience with learning an instrument and reading music.

Storytelling, however, has brought me back to instruments. I realized one day (I'll share that story soon), that there are instruments out there that I CAN play, that aren't highly complicated and don't require me to read music. I'm just looking for things that are relatively easy to learn and they create interesting and pleasing sounds!

I hope that people discover this blog and participate in discussions about miniature instruments. I'd love for non-musicians to get inspired by the instruments I post about and perhaps pick them up too, and I'd love for serious musicians to jump in as well and offer some advice and thoughts about playing these tiny music makers. Any knowledge anyone can contribute about mini instruments they know about would be, well, GREAT!

I'm Jessica, and I look forward to this blog connecting people who have a passion for instruments -- miniature style!

Here's me doing straight-up storytelling. No instruments, just voice. That will be changing soon. :-) I don't remember what "three" is for -- in folklore, there are lots of threes. Three days, three nights, three kings, three pieces of gold, three wishes...



4 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica
    The subject you're writing about is very interesting.
    I do not know how to play and dont use musical instruments when I tell stories.
    There is one tool I use often and it is a small metal bell.
    I hope that through your blog i will learn about other small tools.
    Ilan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilan, Thanks for your comment! I also have a small bell that I use for one of my stories. That definitely counts as a miniature instrument. I like how something as simple as a bell can add so much to a story, and really entertain an audience too. I'm glad you will follow this blog, and I'll be sure to post some instruments you might want to add to your storytelling.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites is the kalimba (aka thumb piano). Earth, Wind & Fire has used it on many of their songs throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) That's neat to know that they used a thumb piano! That was one of the first miniature instruments I discovered and I have a couple in my collection.

      Delete